Nantucket, MA 02554
August 26, 2007
Mr. Frank Marshall
Thanks for sponsoring me for the 2008 Sanctae Crucis award. I contacted Barbara Dean in Frank Vallachio’s office once to get the forms but assume that I should now fade into the background and let you carry the ball. I did send Barbara two copies of my book. Your suggestion that Tom Costello might be willing to help is interesting but I will leave it up to you to find out from Barbara if more than one sponsor is appropriate.
The package attached may look like overkill but I will defer to you on what gets into the package that you send to Holy Cross. As you can see the material covers my career at Electro Dynamic and ADT, my educational activities with Junior Achievement, my Carey Scholars, and my book Democratic Capitalism, The Way to a World of Peace and Plenty.
If, with your help, I qualify for the award I will use it to continue my efforts to get people to read my book. I am convinced that economic freedom, including Smith’s conditions, can eliminate material scarcity in the world; and that the only way to stop the violence is to unite in economic common purpose.
Dennice and I would be pleased if you and Lois could visit us here on Nantucket. We will be here at least until the end of September..
Holy Cross 1948, elected to Alpha Sigma Nu, member of Fitton Society
Harvard Business School, MBA 1950
The attached material includes:
- Biography from web site
- Book Review by Julia Sneden
- 1/15/06 letter to Gardner High School principal with background for first GHS Hall of Fame for superior achievement. One of three elected in September ‘06
- Letter from Sr. Margaret Ryan, President of Aquinas High School inviting me to a dinner to accept their Veritas Friends Award in May ‘06
- Keynote address at Gardner High School graduation-June ‘06
- John Whitehead, former Co-Chair of Goldman Sachs and Deputy Secretary of Sate in the Regan administration letter about Carey’s career and book.
- Mike Osheowitz, Chairman of the Gould Foundation letter on ADT and his opinion of Ray Carey
- Michael Hartoonian, Ph.D. testimonial on Carey’s book
- Al Reposi letter on the Electro Dynamic experience Carey was Plant Manager from 1956 to 1960 and then General Manager and President until 1966
- Selma Rossen letter about the ADT work culture. Carey was President, CEO and Chairman from 1970 until 1988.
- Sample letters from Carey scholars